Setting the standard for excellent reliability & stability Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer with PureRead 4+, RealTime PureRead and M-DISC™ Support
- The latest version of PureRead 4+ and RealTime PureRead
- Up to 6x writing on M-DISC(BD) SL and M-DISC(DVD)
- High-quality front design
- Windows® 11 Compatible
- Up to 16x1 maximum write speed on BD-R media
- Windows Software, CyberLink® Media Suite 10 is included (available for download free of charge)
BDR-S13UBK has achieved further evolution of fundamental performance in addition to improving writing speed and accuracy, improving dust resistance and quiet performance by maximizing Pioneer's BD drive technology and know-how. This is the culmination of years of refinements in ease of use, reliability and stability for the long-loved Pioneer BD Drive. BDR-S13UBK also has performance features such as the Custom Eco function available through the Pioneer BDR-S13UBK Drive Utility. Custom Eco helps reduce the device's power consumption. Pioneer's excellence in optical disc technology delivers quiet operation, high reliability and superior quality. As to software, CyberLink Media Suite 10 for Windows OS is available for download free of charge.
The included CyberLink Media Suite 10 may not be able to be installed on Windows 11 version 2022 Update (version 22H2). Please refer to the following page from CyberLink for details. Customer Support - Using CyberLink products with Windows 11 2022 Update (version 22H2) | CyberLink
The latest version of PureRead 4+ featuring unique algorithms
When read errors caused by scratches or fingerprints occur when importing (ripping) audio CDs, using this function allows for automatic detection of the disc state, adjustment of the read method using an original algorithm, and then re-reading of the disc. This minimizes error data interpolation.
RealTime PureRead plays back audio CDs with their original sound data. This product features RealTime PureRead, which utilizes the PureRead 4+ algorithm to minimize the occurrence of error data interpolation when importing (ripping) audio CDs, and also during playback. This provides real-time reduction of the incidence of error data interpolation due to dirt and scratches on the surface of the disc, allowing playback of audio CDs with the original sound data.
*Not all discs or all portions of discs may be playable if they are too damaged.
Compatible with high-speed M-DISC writing for long-term data archiving
This product is compatible with M-DISC optical media for archiving, developed by US-based Millenniata Inc. It now also supports 6x writing on M-DISC (BD) SL and M-DISC (DVD).
High-quality front design
The simple design of smoked acrylic with a hairline finish from which blue light seems to emerge is accented with metallic lines, for an appearance that projects superior quality.
Unique honeycomb construction and cooling structure
This product features a unique honeycomb structure that increases the rigidity of the housing and minimizes unnecessary vibration. It also commutes airflow generated within the housing by the rotation of the disc, circulating it effectively to alleviate the temperature increase in the pickup and disc surface that occurs when the disc is rotated for extended periods or at high speed.
Custom Eco function helps reduce the drive's power consumption
If the drive does not receive any commands (instructions for operation) from the PC for a specified period, this function will reduce the drive’s power consumption, such as by stopping the disc from rotating or reducing the disc rotation speed. Shortening this specified period will make the drive enter the power saving mode earlier.
*This function can be used if the Drive Utility is downloaded and installed.
16x1 BD-R Writing and BDXL™ Support
Up to 16x1 writing on BD-R SL discs, 14x on BD-R DL discs, and 8x writing on BD-R TL discs and BDXL support （BD-R XL：Triple Layer 100GB、BD-R XL：Quadruple Layer 128GB、BD-RE XL：Triple Layer 100GB).
Equipped with Pioneer’s Optimal Write Strategy Prediction Algorithm, which provides stable writing even on discs for which the drive does not have a set write strategy
The drive automatically predicts the optimal write strategy even on discs for which the drive does not have a set write strategy. The function provides more stable writing.
*XL media (TL / QL) is not supported. Additionally, for some discs it may not be possible to obtain satisfactory writing quality.
*A write strategy is a set of parameters that enables an optical disc drive to write on a specific type of blank media according to its optimum specifications.
Easy Setting function with Drive Utility
Equipped with an Easy Setting function to allow you to set one of four modes according to the intended use.
・Entertainment Mode is suitable for enjoying movies and music. It enhances quietness and makes the tray open quietly when playing back BD/DVD or music CDs.
・High-performance Mode, which emphasizes reading and writing speed
・Quality Mode, which emphasizes reading and writing quality
・Eco Mode, which reduces maximum power consumption
*This function can be used if the Drive Utility is downloaded and installed.
Peak Power Reducer
This power saving mode enables the drive to suppress power consumption at peak operation. It keeps stable operation in case of drop in power supply.
Disc Resonance Stabilizer improves writing accuracy
Disc Resonance Stabilizer utilizes airflow from disc rotation to reduce disc vibration and increase writing accuracy. High speed disc rotation causes disc warping due to resonant vibration. This results in unstable writing quality, especially in the outer areas. The Disc Resonance Stabilizer, designed projection on the top chassis, reduces such errors. By narrowing the interspace between the disc and the top panel, the air flow caused by the high rotation presses and prevents the disc from warping, thereby reducing reading and writing errors. With this feature, stable operation is maintained by handling the three patterns of disc resonant vibration that occur during operation.
High-performance sound dampening, dust resisting, and heat dissipating mechanisms
This product is built with Pioneer’s own honeycomb pattern, used in audio component products and the silence tray. Noise is reduced by controlling the air currents created by the spinning disc. This also controls local temperature rises in the pick-up and disc surface that occur during high-speed or extended disc rotation.
Furthermore, the position of the dust-resisting and sound-dampening pad has been adjusted to boost the air-tightness of the dedicated front bezel and help create a quiet product. Pioneer's multifaceted noise-reduction design makes quiet and durable operation possible.
Improved belt for more stable tray loading operation
The belt used for the tray loading part has been improved to reduce the effect of dust and dirt on the tray loading operation. In our test, resistance to the impact of dust and dirt on tray loading is about 1.8 times that of the previous model.
Ultra HD Blu-ray compatible, with playback software included
Ultra HD Blu-ray offers 4K resolution as well as richer color tones, for more realistic images.
*Playback of Ultra HD Blu-ray requires a CPU that supports Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology. Intel SGX has been removed from Intel 11th generation and newer CPUs, and support for SGX may be removed on new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs such as Intel SGX and Intel Management Engine drivers and firmware in the future. Such changes could cause these platforms to lose support for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback.
For information on other PC environment requirements, download the Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor Tool to your PC, and check. https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/eula.php
Owner's manual (including application product key and warranty information)
Windows Software CyberLink Media Suite 10*
Available for download free of charge.
Download the application software from the website at https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals/bdd/eula/cyberlink_media_suite/en.php
Requires application download key (product key), provided with product purchase.
*These are bundled software versions. The specifications, functions and version numbers differ for the software when offered on a stand-alone basis. *Regarding bundled software, direct inquiries to the following software manufacturers.
CyberLink Support Center https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html
The included CyberLink Media Suite 10 may not be able to be installed on Windows 11 version 2022 Update (version 22H2).
Please refer to the following page from CyberLink for details. Customer Support - Using CyberLink products with Windows 11 2022 Update (version 22H2) | CyberLink
Please download the Drive Utility from the Pioneer website. https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html#DriveUtility
148 mm(W)×42.3 mm(H)×181 mm(D) / 5-13/16 in.(W)×1-21/32 in.(H)×7-1/8 in.(D)
Please confirm the dimensions of the insertion slot in the PC before purchasing.
The dimensions of the insertion slot in the PC may not match standard tray panel dimensions (5-47/64 in. x 29/32 in. x 5/64 in.), meaning that installing this drive may not be possible.
The region code for the drive can be set only five times (including the initial setting). The region code selected with the fifth setting will be locked as the final region code. Accordingly, take care when changing this code. DVD discs that do not have a region code set can be played on players with any region code setting.
- Yes *This function emphasizes writing accuracy by automatically selecting the optimum writing speed for various BD-R media
- Yes *This mode reduces the apparent color unevenness of the disc after writing
- Yes *When writing a DVD-R, the writing method is fixed to CLV. This mode reduces the apparent color unevenness of the disc while maintaining the writing accuracy
Minimum System Requirements - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
- Windows®11, Windows 10
- 7th generation Intel Core® i7/i5 processor for Desktop PC (Kaby Lake-S), 7th generation Intel Core i7/i5 processor for Notebook PC (Kaby Lake-H) *U processor is incompatible
- Intel® HD Graphics 630 (Internal GPU for 7th generation processor)
- 6GB minimum
- HDMI 2.0a and HDCP² 2.2 compatible, 4K display (3840 x 2160 minimum display resolution), HDR compatible (Incompatible display reproduces HDR contents with HDR>SDR format.)
- Intel SGX(Software Guard Extensions) support Intel 200 series motherboard, HDCP² 2.2/HDMI 2.0a output compatible, Intel internal GPU output compatible
Minimum System Requirements - write/read BD/DVD/CD
- Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1
- Intel Core Duo T2700/Core 2Duo E6300, AMD® Athlon 64 X2 3800 or faster
- Intel G45, NVIDIA® GeForce® 7600GT, ATI Radeon® X1600 or faster
- HDCP² compliant display required for Blu-ray playback, 1024 x 768 minimum display resolution
- 1GB required for Blu-ray playback and editing HD video
- 5GB minimum, 50 GB recommended
- BD-R、BD-R DL、BD-R TL、BD-R QL、BD-RE、BD-RE DL、BD-RE TL、BD-R LTH、M-DISC（BD）SL、M-DISC（BD）DL、M-DISC（BD）TL
- DVD-R³ DVD-R DL、DVD-RW、DVD+R、DVD+R DL、DVD+RW、HighSpeed DVD＋RW、DVD-RAM⁴、M-DISC（DVD）
- CD-R、UltraSpeed+CD-RW、UltraSpeed CD-RW、HighSpeed CD-RW、CD-RW
- Ultra HD Blu-ray（BD-ROM DL、BD-ROM TL）、BD-ROM、BD-ROM DL、BD-R、BD-R DL、BD-R TL、BD-R QL、BD-RE、BD-RE DL、BD-RE TL、BD-R LTH、 M-DISC（BD）SL、M-DISC（BD）DL、M-DISC（BD）TL
- DVD-ROM、DVD-ROM DL、DVD-Video、DVD-R、DVD-R DL、DVD-RW、DVD+R、DVD+R DL、DVD+RW、DVD-RAM⁴、M-DISC（DVD）
- CD-ROM、CD-ROM XA、Photo CD、Video CD、CD-DA⁵、CD-Extra、CD-Text、CD-R、CD-RW
- Serial ATA Revision 3.0 1.5Gbps
Maximum Write Speed (BD)
Maximum Write Speed (DVD)
Maximum Write Speed (CD)
Maximum Read Speed (BD)
Maximum Read Speed (DVD)
Maximum Read Speed (CD)
- 4 MB
- Horizontal or Vertical⁷
- 148 mm(W)×42.3 mm(H)×181 mm(D) / 5-13/16 in.(W)×1-21/32 in.(H)×7-1/8 in.(D)
- 0.74 kg (1.63 lb)
* Meeting minimum system requirements does not guarantee operation as other system characteristics may impact performance. Also, system requirements may differ depending on the OS or applications used (for example, some applications may require greater processing power). Please consult with software or OS providers regarding any questions about the OS or applications.
** Maximum Write Speed (BD/DVD/CD): To perform high-speed writing, please use media that supports high-speed writing.
1 16x BD-R write speed achieved using certain media. Refer to the Supported media list.
2 HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) display device is required only for playback of high-definition copy protected content (for example, a Hollywood Blu-ray title). For such content, the connection between the PC and the display device must be made using a digital DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort cable.
3 This product supports writing to DVD-R Version 2.0 for General. It cannot write to DVD-R for Authoring 3.95GB or 4.7GB.
4 This product is compatible with cartridge-less DVD-RAM Version 2.0/2.1/2.2 only.
5 New Maxi is not supported.
6 When the PureRead function is ON, priority is given to reading accuracy, and the maximum read speed of CD audio and CD-ROM is set to 40x. The PureRead function is set to ON as a default setting. This function can be configured using the included Pioneer BD Drive Utility.
7 8 cm (3-9/64˝ ) discs cannot be used when the unit is used in a vertical configuration. (8 cm (3-9/64˝ ) disc adapters cannot be used.)
Note: PureRead 4+, RealTime PureRead, Custom Eco function, Easy Setting and Peak Power Reducer can be configured as well as enabled and disabled with the Pioneer BDR-S13UBK Drive Utility, available here: https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html
Trademarks and registered trademarks
• Pioneer and the Pioneer logo are registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
• Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and other countries.
• M-DISC is a trademark of Millenniata, Inc.
• Intel and Intel Core are trademarks of Intel Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• AMD and Radeon are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• NVIDIA and GeForce are registered trademarks of NVIDIA Corporation.
•SERIAL ATA and its Design Mark are trademarks of Serial ATA International Organization.
•BLU-RAY DISC, the Blu-ray Disc logo, BDXL, the BDXL logo and the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc logo are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
•CyberLink, CyberLink PowerDVD, CyberLink Power2Go, CyberLink PowerDirector, CyberLink AudioDirector, CyberLink ColorDirector, CyberLink LabelPrint and CyberLink PhotoDirector are trademarks or registered trademarks of CyberLink Corporation.
•All other product and brand names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks to their respective companies.